L 'atelier is situated in a characteristic street with monumental buildings and medieval pavement. Just a stone's throw away are the famous squares located such as the “Vrijthof” and the “Onze Lieve Vrouwe”, exclusive fashion streets and an abundance of great cafes, terraces and restaurants. Just in the opposite of the front door is the thirteenth century city wall and a delightful terrace.
The history of the building
Lang Grachtje 18 was part of the corner building Tafelstraat 13 anno 1628, the same year that the VOC ship Batavia was shipwrecked off the west coast of Australia. The renaissance building housed for many centuries monks. In the beginning Lang Grachtje 18 was presumably the coach and horses shed and became later part of the monastery.
As from 1963 the famous Maastricht artist Jef Courtens moved in together with his wife. Silent witness of this period is the wall stone in the façade created by Jef Courtens in 1956.
There is paid parking just around the corner. A day ticket costs only € 6,00. You can also park indoor in one of the two Q-Park garages on 4 walking minutes from L' atelier, being: Q-Park “Vrijthof” and Q-Park “Onze Lieve Vrouwe”.